N. Korea notifies Japan of plan to launch satellite between Wednesday and Dec. 1: report
简介North Korea has notified Japan of a plan to launch a space rocket between Wednesday and Dec. 1, Reut ...
North Korea has notified Japan of a plan to launch a space rocket between Wednesday and Dec. 1, Reuters reported Monday, as the recalcitrant regime is preparing for what would be its third attempt to put a military spy satellite into orbit.
The North apprised Japan's Coast Guard of the planned launch in the direction of the Yellow Sea and East China Sea, according to Reuters.
South Korea has said Pyongyang may go ahead with the launch as early as "this week or so," while urging the regime to "immediately" stop the launch preparations.
The North initially planed to make the third launch attempt in October following two botched launches -- in August and May. But it did not press ahead with the plan last month, raising speculation that it might need more preparation time.
The North's launch preparations drew keen attention amid speculation that Russia might have provided military technology and support to the North in return for the North's supply of military equipment and munitions for use in the war in Ukraine.
Seoul and Washington have warned the North against the launch, which they say would be a violation of UN Security Council resolutions banning any launch using ballistic missile technology.
Lt. Gen. Kang Ho-pil, chief director of operations at South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Monday that Seoul would take "necessary measures" should the North go ahead with the launch.
Observers said that the North appears intent to secure intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance assets as it is far behind the allies in ISR capabilities despite its focus on developing an array of formidable weapons systems, including submarine-launched ballistic missiles and tactical nuclear arms. (Yonhap)
Online art platform ART Fin kicks off the exhibition “The Present” on Tuesday at ART Fin gallery in ...
10·11 서울 강서구청장 보궐선거 참패로 예고된 대로 집권여당과 용산에 대한 민심이 일주일도 안 돼 싸늘해졌다. 특히 수도권 민심 이탈이 심각했다. 16일 공개된 정치 고관여층이 ...
Klaus Makela, a fast-rising Finnish conductor and cellist, will finally meet the Korean audiences af ...
- Hyundai, Kia's combined exports set to hit 2 mln in 2023
- Man nabbed in naked rampage
- Geonwonneung to open for public viewing in fall
- LIG Nex1 seals global defense ties at Seoul ADEX 2023
- OPEC members push against fossil fuel phase
- Japan preparing to bring back some 20 S. Koreans from Israel, along with its own nationals: reports
- Samsung, Hyundai ink first EV battery deal
- 'The Boys' director says blending fact, fiction necessary to deliver message
- Mirae Asset seeks generational change in leadership reshuffle
- Drugs smuggled in through Incheon Airport surge since pandemic: lawmaker
- [New on scene] Lee Jun
- Looming election has Yoon advocating harder for everyday South Koreans
- 12 suspected cases of lumpy skin disease in cattle under investigation
- Korea reports 7 more cases of lumpy skin disease, total now at 17
- EU preparing UN draft resolution on NK human rights
- Hyundai partners with Saudi firms to build hydrogen mobility ecosystem
- 12일부터 4·10총선 예비후보자 등록 시작
- S. Korea, US, Japan to discuss regional security issues: White House
- Investigators, not teachers, to handle school violence from next year
- Seoul shares open lower on US tech slide
- Citibank Korea hosts digital forum for corporate clients
- Mirae Asset Securities names new CEOs
- Four Korean drama series nominated for Critics Choice Awards
- GC Biopharma breaks ground for Indonesia’s first blood products plant
- 안철수 “이준석 신당 성공 가능성 낮아…3가지 갖추지 못해“
- 송영길엔 선 그은 이준석 "이낙연 싫어할 이유 없다, 긍정적"
- Congresswoman redoubles calls for support to designate Nov. 22 as 'Kimchi Day'
- ‘Korea could go extinct without proper immigration policy’: minister
- Succession scheme taking shape at Lotte
- [KH Explains] China ups OLED ante to take over Korean shares
- Ideal spouse material? Above
- Things look bright for ‘Past Lives’ Oscars prospects
- 조응천 "8년간 쓴소리 했는데…요즘은 백태클에 뒤통수 가격"
- Auditor says Moon govt distorted 2020 death of fisheries official
- LG wins SOAFEE board membership to join Arm, Bosch
- Hero soldier may get honorary degree from university