Exports gain 2.2% from Nov. 1
简介South Korea's exports rose 2.2 percent on-year in the first 20 days of this month on growing de ...
South Korea's exports rose 2.2 percent on-year in the first 20 days of this month on growing demand for semiconductors and vehicles, data showed Tuesday.
Outbound shipments reached $33.79 billion in the Nov. 1-20 period, compared with $33.07 billion tallied a year earlier, according to the data from the Korea Customs Service.
Per-day exports also went up 2.2 percent on-year to $2.18 billion during the cited period, it added.
Exports grew for the first time in 13 months in October. They advanced 5.1 percent on-year to $55 billion, driven by rising chip sales in the global market.
Imports fell 6.2 percent on-year to $35.21 billion during the first 20 days of November, resulting in a trade deficit of $1.4 billion.
The growth in exports was led by upbeat global sales of South Korean semiconductors and vehicles.
Exports of semiconductors, a key export item, advanced 2.4 percent to $5.41 billion during the first 20 days of this month.
It marked the first time since September last year that chip exports logged on-year growth during the first 20 days of a month.
On a monthly basis, semiconductor exports have fallen for 15 months in a row since August 2022 through October amid the industry downcycle.
Chip exports accounted for 16 percent of the country's total exports.
Auto exports surged 20.1 percent on-year to $3.76 billion.
Shipments of petroleum products inched up 0.4 percent to $3.05 billion, and exports of electronics jumped 25.6 percent to $430 million.
But steel exports fell 9.5 percent on-year to $2.23 billion, and those of auto parts fell 3.6 percent to $1.14 billion.
By destination, exports to China, the top trading partner for South Korea, fell 2.4 percent to $7.23 billion.
Exports to the United States, however, jumped 15.7 percent on-year to $6.59 billion during the cited period, and those to Vietnam climbed 1.4 percent to $3.11 billion.
Exports to the European Union lost 4.1 percent to $3.18 billion, while those to Japan increased 10.8 percent to $1.63 billion.
"Semiconductor sales are forecast to mark on-year growth this month, which would help lead the growth in overall exports," an industry ministry official said.
The government has expected exports, the country's key economic growth engine, to bottom out and gradually recover and vowed all-out efforts to support exporters. (Yonhap)
Jazz melodies and fragrant cocktails captivated the audience at the LG Art Center, Wednesday, markin ...
국민의힘 김태우 강서구청장 보궐선거 후보가 5일 강서구 방화동 모아타운 통합추진위 사무실 개소식에서 발언하고 있다. 연합뉴스강서구청장 보궐선거 사전투표를 하루 앞두고 김태우 국민의 ...
South Korea’s human rights commission on Tuesday called for the Korean government to abolish the dea ...
- Ateez lands on UK chart with 2nd LP, to go on world tour
- Posco Holdings recoups investment in Roy Hill after 13 years
- [Photo News] AI, conventional painting come together
- Four days of jazz festivities take over Jara Island
- 1,000 retired couples receive W3m in combined pension
- Hyundai Motor chairman marks 3rd year of record earnings
S. Korea determined to become tourism powerhouse
Seoul shares end lower amid conflict in Middle East
Jungkook becomes first Korean soloist to log 2 songs in Top 5 of Billboard's Hot 100
Seoul shares open higher on US gains; Israel
USAID official urges boosted development cooperation among S. Korea, US, Japan as 'like
Half of Loona restarts as quintet Loossemble
- Court win for 'comfort women' upheld as Japan declines appeal
- Culture minister to discuss exchanges with Vatican this week
- USAID official urges boosted development cooperation among S. Korea, US, Japan as 'like
- S. Korea logs current account surplus for 6th month in October
- BTS' RM, Jimin, V, Jungkook to enlist in military this week
- Filming set for season 2 of 'Squid Game' unveiled to press
- 'Dune: Part Two' to be more action
- Citibank named top international bank of 2023 in Korea
- SK carries out complete reshuffle of top brass
- Antenna concert series mixes music, art and cocktails
- Trend forecaster Kim Ran
- [HIT Forum] Sci
- 강서구청장 12시 투표율 11.4%…직전 지선보다 2.9%p 낮아
- 판 커진 구청장 선거…민주당 크게 이겼다
- 민주당 개표 초반부터 환호성…김태우 캠프엔 적막 가득했다
- Samsung Electronics tips Q3 operating profit to plunge 78% on semiconductor losses
- [Busan Is Ready] Busan Expo strives to present climate change solutions
- The ruling party vows extraordinary measures to win back people's trust after crushing by
- Israleli strikes flatten entire neighborhoods as Gaza faces imminent blackout
- Viviz to drop 4th EP ‘Versus’ next month
- Dawn begins mandatory military service
- Samsung Electronics forecasts Q3 rebound
- [Today’s K
- Science minister welcomes HIT forum on space economy
- Pentagon chief stresses US ability to tackle 'crises in multiple theaters'
- S. Korea logs current account surplus for 4th month in August
- [HIT Forum]Space forum sees opportunities beyond our 'pale blue dot'
- [HIT Forum] Korea's only astronaut highlights humanity's connection with universe
- USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier to arrive in Busan this week