Things to note to prevent disputes in international contracts: The critical clause of governing law
简介With globalization, various types of international contracts have emerged, emphasizing the importanc ...
With globalization, various types of international contracts have emerged, emphasizing the importance of well-reviewed international contracts. It is important to understand the core of international contracts, as disputes in international trade could dramatically increase the costs in terms of time and money. Here, we discuss the concepts of international contracts with Attorney Han Daeun, from law firm Law-win.
Q. What is an international contract?
An international contract is a legally binding agreement between two or more parties from different countries. With globalization, various types of international contracts emerged such as international supply agreements, distribution agreements, manufacturing agreements, and share transfer agreements. As the parties involved in the contract usually have various sociolinguistic, cultural, and legal backgrounds, they tend to have different understandings of the legal terms or conditions stipulated in the contract, resulting in uncertainty, vagueness, and potential risks. To minimize such uncertainties, an international contract must be advised with precision and checked on a regular basis.
Q: Which country's law applies?
A: Governing law or applicable law is a contractual provision that determines which law shall apply in the event of a dispute in an international contract. Each country has its own private international law that regulates the governing law. In general, in cases where no governing law clause has been stipulated, the contract may be governed according to the jurisdiction that has the most important connection to the agreement. For instance, the location of the contract takes place, where the products are distributed.
Q: Can we choose a governing law for the international contract?
A: The parties can reach an agreement when deciding on governing law. The governing law could be one from either side of the party or any other laws irrelevant to the contract. There are various factors to consider when reaching an agreement on governing law, such as the consistency between the governing law clause and jurisdiction clause, the international customary practice, the types of market, and types of law (civil law or common law). Hence, the company should analyze the market and its business carefully and discuss with the experts which law should be included in their international contract's governing law.
Law firm Law-Win’s international litigation advisory team has been established to effectively resolve domestic and international legal disputes without language barriers, working by competent attorneys specialized in various practical areas such as criminal law, civil law, bankruptcy, etc and 49 interpreters of 14 languages (Sri Lankan, English, Thai, Arabic, Russian, French, Mongolian, Chinese, Myanmar, Japanese, Khmer, German, Vietnamese, and Uzbek. -- Ed.
North Korea has increased activities in the truce village of Panmunjom after effectively scrapping a ...
Mirae Asset Securities, Korea's largest investment bank and securities firm, said it plans to i ...
북한 노동당 기관지 노동신문은 19일 방북 중인 세르게이 라브로프 러시아 외무장관을 환영하는 연회가 전날인 18일에 열렸다고 보도했다. 연회에서는 최선희 외무상과 라브로프 장관이 ...
- [Today’s K
- Govt. to survey spending on private education of preschoolers, Suneung retakers
- LG chief convenes CEO meeting to review growth strategy
- Rebellions' AI chip to undergo IBM quality testing
- Major Korean firms fare worse than US counterparts in H1
- Kakao completes its first own data center
- Breadwinners in their 60s or above double in 9 years
- 러 무기 만져보고 타보고...김정은 '북·러 합작' 도발 메뉴 내놓나
- [Herald Interview] Love is what defines artist Dawn
- KB chief hopes successor transforms group into 'Samsung of finance'
- South Korean oil payments for Iran frozen again over Hamas links
- UAE President's Seoul visit postponed amid Middle East tensions
- “가자주민 삶 최악…한국지원 절실”
- NMK to extend support for Korean galleries at six museums abroad
- “北, 무단철거 금강산 골프장서 옥수수 건조”
- [Exclusive] 'Game of Thrones' publisher inks deal for Korean books for first time
- PM visits Greece for talks on cooperation, World Expo bid campaign
- 혼전임신 직원에 "애비없는 애"…갑질 서기관 감싼 복지부 논란
- Lightsum's new album ‘Honey or Spice’ tickles tastebuds
- Dansaekhwa master Park Seo
- 野 “與 보선 참패 후 이재명 전광석화 기소…국민 심판받을 것”
- KT & G to build new tobacco plant in Kazakhstan
- S Korea, UAE agree to increase bilateral flight ceiling to 21 per week
- [Herald Interview] Dyson engineer stresses potential of Korean hair care market
- 대통령실 “UAE 대통령 방한 순연”…이스라엘·하마스 충돌 영향
- Seoul shares end higher on tech gains, Fed comments
- [Herald Interview] Alex Olle’s realistic reimagination of opera ‘Norma’ keeps art form alive
- LS Cable inks partnership for Vietnam submarine cable market
- GS Caltex, Posco team up on biofuel
- S Korea, UAE to hold aviation talks over potential increase in bilateral flights