Celltrion merger plan approved by shareholders
简介Korean biosimilar giant Celltrion and its marketing unit Celltrion Healthcare received shareholders’ ...
Korean biosimilar giant Celltrion and its marketing unit Celltrion Healthcare received shareholders’ approval for their merger on Monday, paving the way for the launch of an integrated company planned for December.
During the extraordinary general shareholders meetings separately held by the two companies in Incheon, Celltrion won with 97.04 percent of attendees voting in favor of the merger, while 95.17 percent of Celltrion Healthcare shareholder attendees agreed with the plan.
Under the scheme, Celltrion will absorb the sales unit, exchanging Celltrion Healthcare’s shares for every 0.4492620 Celltrion shares.
With the merger approved, shareholders who dissent to the merger can exercise their appraisal rights to demand Celltrion purchase their shares from Monday until Nov. 13.
The appraisal right exercise prices for Celltrion and Celltrion Healthcare are 150,813 won ($111) and 67,251 won, respectively. The two companies aim to wrap up the tie-up on Dec. 28.
Celltrion Group's founder and Honorary Chairman Seo Jung-jin showed confidence in making the merger successful after gaining shareholders' backing. “With this, the uncertainty of the merger has disappeared,” he said after the proposal was approved.
Prior to the shareholders meeting, Celltrion encountered an unexpected obstacle due to the abstention of the National Pension Service, the second-largest shareholder of the firm. The National Pension Service, which holds a 7.43 percent stake in Celltrion, effectively voted against the merger plan in order to exercise its stock purchase rights. The stock purchase rights standard price of 150,813 won was higher than the previous day's closing price, which was 142,200 won, so it was interpreted as a decision to prevent losses.
If the National Pension Service exercises its stock purchase rights for the entire stake it owns in Celltrion, Celltrion will be required to pay over 1.64 trillion won.
Celltrion's board of directors has set the limit for the total amount that the company is to pay for those exercising the appraisal rights at 1 trillion won.
However, after the merger was approved, Seo said the threshold won’t be a hindrance.
“If the total amount for the money for appraisal exceeds 1 trillion won, I will invest and push through it unconditionally, even if it means taking on debt,” he said. “After the general shareholders meeting, I will meet the board of directors and persuade them.”
In August, Celltrion announced its plan to integrate the group's three listed firms -- Celltrion, Celltrion Healthcare, and Celltrion Pharm -- to enhance business synergy and operational efficiency.
Under the plan, if the merger process between Celltrion and Celltrion Healthcare is complete within the year, a second-stage merger with Celltrion Pharm will be carried out within the next six months.
Shares in Celltrion shed 0.28 percent from Friday's closing, while Celltrion Healthcare shares dropped 0.31 percent as of 1:30 p.m Monday.
A South Korean man in his 30s was fined 2 million won ($1,500) for throwing a pomeranian out of the ...
제1 야당 대표 체포동의안 표결은 팽팽한 긴장감 속에서 진행됐다. 21일 오후 국회 본회의장에 들어선 더불어민주당 의원들은 서로의 마음을 확인하려는 듯 삼삼오오 모여 이야기를 나눴 ...
9월 셋째 주 주요뉴스 키워드는 #통계조작 #조국 #최강인 의원직상실 #정유정 계획범죄 인정 #세수 펑크 #이재명 체포동의안 가결 #미국ㆍ이란 수김자 맞교환 #윤 대통령 UN총회 ...
- Seoul offers 10,000 sets of portable SOS emergency bell ‘Zikimi’
- Lawmaker calls for specifying China's responsibility in UN resolution on NK human rights
- 김성태 "인요한, 방향 잘 설정해 뚜벅뚜벅 잘 하고 있다"
- US envoy vows to make clear 'inextricable' link between N. Korea's human rights abuses, threats
- [From the scene] Jazz music livens up Seoul's streets
- From Itaewon to Hollywood, Park Seo
- 선관위, 이준석 유튜브 멤버십 중지 요청…"정치자금법 위반 소지"
- Samsung SDI, Volvo Trucks vow to enhance battery partnership
- Child hurt after angry dad pushes the swing too hard
- 선관위, 이준석 유튜브 멤버십 중지 요청…"정치자금법 위반 소지"
- [Our Museums] Discover wisdom of hanok at Eunpyeong History Hanok Museum
- 이준석, 눈물의 회견…尹대통령 향해 "與 묵언 수행 저주 풀라"
- Biden says Hamas must be eliminated, US officials warn war could escalate
- Ruling party chief clings on after election loss
- Hamas weapons, tactics resemble those of NK: JCS
- 윤 대통령 “국민소통·현장소통·당정소통 강화하라”
- Hyundai Rotem to showcase new ground weapons systems at Seoul expo
- One Store attracts W20b from Krafton
- Yoon, doctors set to clash over medical school quota
- HiteJinro to produce soju in Vietnam
- 北, 러시아 외무장관 방북 발표…내달 18~19일 방문
- Seoul subway on verge of strike
- Import prices up for 3rd month in September on higher oil prices
- Beef prices have soared 100
- 北, 日의 장거리미사일 조기 배치 추진에 “전쟁국가 일본 실체”
- Gimbap and hanja cramming: Life of Korean Studies students in Paris
- Seoul subway workers vote for strike plan
- GOT7’s Youngjae to release 1st solo LP “Do It” next month
- 163 S. Koreans arrive home from Israel on military aircraft
- FSC lays out plan to boost pet insurance enrollment