Hamas releases two US hostages with hope for more
简介GAZA STRIP (AFP) -- Gaza's Hamas rulers released two Americans on Friday among some 200 hostage ...
GAZA STRIP (AFP) -- Gaza's Hamas rulers released two Americans on Friday among some 200 hostages they abducted in brutal October 7 attacks in Israel and indicated that more could follow.
Judith Tai Raanan and her daughter Natalie Shoshana Raanan were back in Israel late Friday, the Israeli government said.
No details were given on their condition, but US President Joe Biden said he was "overjoyed" at the news. Biden spoke by phone to the two women after they were freed.
And Hamas said it was working with Qatar and Egypt to free its "civilian" hostages, in a sign that more releases could follow.
The pair were met at the Gaza border by an Israeli envoy and taken to a military base in central Israel "where their families are waiting to meet them."
The American mother and daughter were seized from the Nahal Oz kibbutz near the Israel-Gaza border on October 7. They were reportedly on holiday in Israel at the time.
The Ranaan family, like those of many of the hostages, had launched an international campaign to press for efforts to bring them out of Gaza.
Ben Raanan, Natalie's half-brother told the BBC of the "overwhelming sense of joy... and gratitude" at the news of their release.
He also thanked the "community around the world who have really put my sister at the forefront of their thoughts, of their prayers."
Hamas said that after being approached by Qatar and Egypt, "(Ezzedine) al-Qassam Brigades released two American citizens for humanitarian reasons."
'Sliver of hope'
Gaza's Islamist rulers said they were "working with all mediators to implement the movement's decision to close the civilian (hostage) file if appropriate security conditions allow." It gave no details of its demands.
Israel says 203 people -- Israelis, dual nationals and foreigners -- were abducted by Hamas gunmen when they launched the deadliest attacks in Israel's 75-year history. At least 1,400 people were killed, mostly civilians, according to the government.
Israel has responded with a relentless bombing campaign against the Gaza Strip that has left at least 4,137 people dead, mostly civilians, according to the Hamas administration.
The hostages have become a major issue in Israel, and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said the government would use "any means available to locate all those missing and bring home all the kidnapped."
The International Committee of the Red Cross said it had helped transport the freed Americans to Israel. Its president Mirjana Spoljaric said their release provided a "sliver of hope" for the families of other hostages and called on all sides in the conflict to show "a minimum of humanity."
The release came two days after Biden made a solidarity visit to Israel to offer support over the attack.
"Our fellow citizens have endured a terrible ordeal these past 14 days, and I am overjoyed that they will soon be reunited with their family, who has been wracked with fear," he said in a statement.
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken called for more releases "immediately and unconditionally." "Every single one of them should be released."
Blinken said a team from the US Embassy would visit the two freed women, but offered no information about their condition Qatar is a major donor of aid to Gaza and two Hamas leaders are based in the Gulf state. A Qatari foreign ministry spokesman said the country had mediated between Hamas and the United States and that the release followed "many days of continuous communication between all the parties involved.
"We will continue our dialogue with both the Israelis and Hamas, and we hope these efforts will lead to the release of all civilian hostages from every nationality, with the ultimate aim of de-escalating the current crisis and restoring peace," said the spokesman, Majid al-Ansari.
The Israeli military said earlier Friday that most of those abducted to Gaza were still alive even though some dead bodies have been found on incursions into Gaza.
The military said more than 20 hostages were minors, while between 10 and 20 were over the age of 60.
There are also between 100 and 200 people considered missing since the Hamas attacks, the army added. (AFP)
구병삼 통일부 대변인이 8일 오전 서울 종로구 정부서울청사에서 열린 정례브리핑에서 취재진 질문에 답하고 있다. 연합뉴스통일부가 8일 북한이 2016년 2월 전면 폐쇄된 개성공단 내 ...
Plans to have J-Hope of BTS host a military cooking competition have been canceled on orders of the ...
The engineering and construction division of Samsung C&T Corporation is taking part in the “2023 Sma ...
- Comedian Yang Se
- LX International to acquire 60% stake in Indonesian nickel mine
- Marking 105th anniversary of independence, Poland highlights growing ties with Gyeonggi Province
- S. Korea retakes No. 1 spot in global shipbuilding orders in Oct.
- NK activity increases at Panmunjom after inter
- 인요한 "이준석에 통크게 제안…돌아와 총선 중책 맡아달라"
S. Korea determined to become tourism powerhouse
LX International to acquire 60% stake in Indonesian nickel mine
'Omega X will not give up': Boy band returns to share message of hope
LX Holdings CEO promoted to president
Citibank named top international bank of 2023 in Korea
LX Holdings CEO promoted to president
- [KH Explains] Why Starbucks' new coupon policy is a big deal in Korea
- In a first, Le Sserafim collaborates with Overwatch for in
- Fifty Fifty's Keena says outsourcing rep stoked bad blood with Attrakt, Fifty Fifty
- 이종석, 검수완박법엔 입법취소 의견…공수처법 위헌 입장
- Seoul shares end nearly 2% lower amid Middle East woes
- 윤 대통령 “저보고 소통 부족하다 지적하는 분 많아 반성”
- 尹 "참모들 앉아있지 말고 현장 가라…나도 민생 더 파고들 것"
- Hyundai, Kia team up with Infineon on EV power chips
- Registration opens for offshore firms' FX trading
- [Herald Interview] New Royal Salute makes grand debut to tap deeper into Korean whiskey market
- BIFF expands award categories beyond Asian content to global titles
- Posco Holdings recoups investment in Roy Hill after 13 years
- Big firms' debt
- [Our Museums] Explore cinematic treasures at Korean Film Museum
- 'No Japan?' Korea swings from extreme rejection to selective embrace
- Half of Loona restarts as quintet Loossemble
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains; Israel
- 尹대통령 지지율, 1.1%p 내린 38.9% [알앤써치]
- 김건희 여사, 광주디자인비엔날레 찾아 “문화예술계 육성 의지”
- [From the scene] Eye
- How college students are coping with the impact of inflation
- 예술의전당 간 한동훈 화제 되자…野 "집에 스피커 두고 왜 가나"
- Performing Arts Market to link local artists to world
- DB Robotics invents nation's first hybrid electric rollator
- Hanwha showcases ground weapons systems at US trade fair
- 'Frasier' returns to TV but you don't need to be a superfan of the original to laugh at its jokes
- For esports fans, more activities await beyond LoL matches
- Jungkook of BTS to hold fan showcase on Nov. 20
- 33년 경찰 경력 내세워…“안심구청장 누구입니까”
- HIT forum on space to be held in Seoul